(TATIZO LA PUA)
About the Condition
Sinusitis is a short or long-term inflammation of the sinuses or the hollows in the bone that open into the nose
It usually occurs after a person has had an infection of the ears or throat, or after a bad cold or flu.
Headache; pain in the face above and below the eyes, hurting more when you tap lightly just over the bone that opens into the nose; thick mucus or pus in the nose, perhaps with a bad smell; the nose is often stuffy; possibly fever or toothache.
- Eucalyptus globulus Inhalation For immediate relief, add a drop of eucalyptus oil to a glass of boiling water and inhale OR pour boiling water over a handful of eucalyptus leaves and use for steam inhalation. This will help decongest your nose.
- Chamomile in Lemon Grass Tea boils a handful of fresh lemongrass leaves in 1 litre of water. Drink throughout the day to aid your recovery.
- Lemon/Lime Leaf or Peel Tea and Inhalation Boil a handful of lemon leaves or the grated peel of half a lemon in a covered pan. For steam inhalation, drink 1 glass 2-3 × daily for at least 4 days. This will help decongest
- Cymbopogon citratus Inhalation Steep a handful of fresh leaves in 1 liter of boiling water and inhale the steam.
- Neem Herbal Infusion, bring 1 cup of water to a boil, add 1 tea bag, and steep for 5 minutes, stir then remove the teabag, add 1 tbsp of lemon, and drink a glass daily to help you boost your immunity.
- Ginger, garlic, and Lemon Juice Tea Prepare with ginger, garlic, and lemon juice. Drink 1 glass 2 x daily. This helps decongestion and fights infection.
Food & Nutrition Advice
- Avoid mucus-forming foods (dairy products, eggs, and wheat).
Body Works & General Advice
- Keep your nose clear when you have a cold and stuffy nose. Follow the instructions outlined in the Colds and Flu section to stop the cold from becoming a sinus infection.
- It is challenging to prevent sinusitis, but you can reduce the chances of your sinuses becoming infected by avoiding allergenic environments (dust, smoke, cold, dampness, and other irritants).
- Apply a hot cloth to the sinus area and lie with your head back for ten minutes.
TICAH – Trust for Indigenous Culture and Health. 2020.www.ticahealth.org.