About the Condition
A sore throat is one of the most common health complaints and generally disappears without treatment. A throat that begins suddenly and is accompanied by a high fever but no cold symptoms could be “strep It is a common infection in children and adolescents caused by streptococcal bacteria.
Burning sensation or scratchiness in the back of the throat; pain, especially when swallowing; tenderness of the neck may also be accompanied by sneezing and coughing, hoarseness, runny nose, mild fever, or general fatigue.
Strep Throat High fever; back of the mouth and tonsils become very red; lymph nodes under the jaw or in the neck become swollen and tender
Seek medical help immediately if you have signs of strep throat.
Issues Specific to Children
Children and adolescents are particularly vulnerable to strep throat. If you suspect your child has it, seek professional help immediately.
Body Work & General Advice
- Relieve the pain by making a hot compress. Do this by taking a hot, damp cloth and wrapping it around t throat and ear area.
- Avoid shouting.
- Get plenty of rest.
Sore throats are often a sign of the beginning of a viral cough or cold. Support your immune system to fight the virus with these remedies.
- Artemisia annua Tea Infuse 2 tsp dried leaves in 1 It of water for 15 minutes. Drink 1 glass 1 x daily.
Keep your throat clean by using the following gargles to kill the germs.
- Vinegar and Garlic 1 glass of water, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1 clove garlic. Blend until smooth. Gargle half and spit out. Swallow the other half.
- Salt Solution Add 1 tsp Winnie’s Pure Health Sea Salt to a glass of hot water. Gargle and spit.
Soothe your throat with the following remedies.
- Lemon and Honey Mix the juice of a lemon with Winnie’s Pure Health honey. Take a large spoonful as necessary.
- Ginger, Garlic, Lemon, and Honey Tea Crush ginger and garlic, add to boiling water, and drink.
- Mangifera indica Leaf Gargle Boil a handful of fresh young leaves in 1 It of water for 10 minutes. Filter and gargle with ½ cup of the liquid every half hour. Or chew a mix of young and old leaves.
- Zanthoxylum macrophylla Bark Chew the bark of a twig then swallow.
- Acacia xanthophloea Bark Chew the inner bark then swallow.
- Kedrostis foetidissima Leaf Infusion Pour 1 It of boiling water over a handful of leaves. Drink ½ glass 2 x daily.
- Warburgia ugandensis Solution Dissolve 1 tsp leaf powder in a glass of boiling water. Drink ½ glass 2 x daily.
Food & Nutrition Advice
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially water.
- Take soft/liquid foods such as soup.
- Avoid dry food.
- Avoid cold and sweet/sugary food and drink. If you do take sweet or oily foods, follow them with a drink of hot water.
- Avoid cold drinks and alcohol.
TICAH – Trust for Indigenous Culture and Health. 2020.www.ticahealth.org.