“Self-care means giving yourself permission to pause.”
Often, we hear the phrase that “you can’t pour from an empty vessel.” It is difficult to show love, compassion or be strong for others if we are unable to do it to ourselves. This calls for us to take time off and rejuvenate ourselves so that we can be able to meet the demands presented to us in every form. Without rejuvenation we may experience physical, emotional or spiritual burnout.
Here are some self-care tips to keep you in tip top state:
- Eat healthy and nutritious food
- Have constructive friendships
- Get adequate sleep
- Exercise or walk 3 to 5 times a week
- Practice daily meditation
- Hydrate; minimize alcohol intake
- Develop boundaries and learn when to say “No”
- Say positive things to yourself to boost your confidence and esteem
- Practice gratitude if possible, have a ‘jar of goodness’
- Ask yourself how you feel several times a day to develop emotional self-awareness.
- Find a creative outlet
- Take time out from work, technology, friends, children or spouse